1.09.2010

gluten-free findings

I don't have Celiac's disease, but I know quite a handful of people who do. I had no idea such a thing existed until about 5 years ago. When I found out that it meant you couldn't eat regular baked good made with flour, I was shocked. I've been baking since I was six and I go through a withdrawal if I'm not able to bake or eat sugar. And this means you can't eat every baked good that comes in your path? A world where you had to pass up a baked good was not a world I thought any one should have to live in, I mean, no baked goods? The end of the world might as well just come now.

Just in the past months though I've had a lot of fun baking gluten-free cookies, cupcakes, and muffins. It's so much fun to experiment! Now I'm no expert, and half the time (okay, 3/4) I have no idea what I'm doing. But I have come up with some tips and recipe along the way that you might enjoy:

  • Always keep rice four on hand. Unlike a garbonzo/fava bean flour, it doesn't have any sort of weird smell. So far I have found that white and brown rice flours can be used interchangeably.
  •  
  • Only use garbonzo/fava bean flour when the product you are making is strongly flavored. Chocolate works well for masking the flavor. If it isn't strongly flavored, your baked good is going to smell like a garage. Really. I guess that's why Babycakes NYC uses so much vanilla--to mask the flavor.
  •  If you make something with garbonzo/fava bean flour that isn't strongly flavored, it is good straight out of the oven. But in five minutes, the smell and taste get very noticeable. 
  • If you're just starting out in baking, I would definitely try the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Mixes. They're fantastic! I've heard of one person with Celiac who loved them. It was her first cupcake in 20 years.

Next post.....recipes I've tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment